June 24, 2010

Shake's Top 5 Players for the Draft

I want to make a point that this is my top 5 for the Jazz and not just overall.

1- DeMarcus Cousins, Kentucky, Center;

This is the easiest pick in the draft. Cousins has the makings of a star! Take a look at the video posted a few days ago on him. Coach Callipari says he is the only player in this draft that opposing going to have to game plan for. He is a less athletic version of Shaq and don't believe me look at the numbers. Shaq freshmen year at LSU he averaged 13.9 points, 12.2 rebounds, and 3.4 blocks (all in 28 minutes a night). Cousins freshmen year at Kentucky 15.1 points, 9.8 rebounds, and 1.8 blocks (all in 23 minutes a night). Though if their stats are not enough look at their measurements. Shaq in college was 7'1" and 286 lbs ; Cousins is 6'11" and 270 lbs. They both have that wide body that makes them hard to move in the post. I do not mean to go on about him but to me he is the one sure star in this draft. And do not tell me he is difficult to deal with... name me one high profile athlete that has not been considered a handful at one time or another (in the NBA). If the Jazz want to land a star the will trade anything and everything to move up and get this guy! Trade the next 2 years worth of draft picks! Take a bad contract! Give them Millsap! Do whatever it takes to move up and land this guy. Also another thing on the character of Cousins... the only reason he might be available at 4 or 5 is due to his "character problem"! If he had the character of Tim Tebow he would be the 1st overall pick! Hands down!



















2- Greg Monroe, Georgetown, Center/Power Forward;

He is not my favorite big man and I believe he is still 1 to 2 years out from being a big time player on any team. He would fit a need that the Jazz have. He is consider by many draft experts (meaning not me) to be one of the best passing big men to come around in years. He has the potential to be a great offensive player at the next level. I am apprehensive about his defense though. He is not a nasty player in the post on defense and will not have more around 1 block a game. Everyone in the Utah media feels the Jazz have to draft someone that has the potential to be a star and Monroe fits that bill. If he is available the Jazz will take him.












3- Cole Aldrich, Kansas, Center;

Ok I know that nobody is big on this guy but me. Just hear me out... The Jazz need a big guy bad and the quality of big men that are 2nd round picks or free agents are a considerable drop off from Aldrich. They can still land a serviceable 2 or 3 in the second round but they will not get a big man that can contribute this year. Aldrich will come and be able to play 15 to 20 minutes in his 1st year! And do not give me this crap about him being the next Ostertag! I already went over that in another post that you can see by clicking here. He will not become a star but he will get you 10 plus rebounds and 2 or more blocks a game. I have a hard time seeing him being able to average more than 15 points a night but should be in the neighborhood of 10 a night. Not sure what you think but I would take that in a heart beat.














4- Xavier Henry, Kansas,

If you are going to draft a wing player I would take the player with the most potential and I feel that Henry is that player. He is coming out after only his freshmen year and would have been a top five pick had he returned for another year (my opinion). Another reason I would have the Jazz taking him is because Walt Perrin the Jazz director of player personal said that the group the Jazz had in that included Al-Farouq Aminu, Luke Babbitt, Gordon Hayward, Damion James, Ryan Thompson, and of course Henry was one of the best workouts he can remember. With that in mind any of these players are potential picks for the Jazz at 9 (minus Thompson).















5- Hassan Whiteside, Marshall, Center;

I would take Whiteside but only if the Jazz are able to trade down a handful of spots and pick up another draft pick in the process. Potential trade partners would be the Grizzles (12th and 25th pick) and the Timberwolves (16th and 23rd pick). Whiteside is a big gamble but comes in being able to block shots. He is going to need to put on at least another 30 lbs before he will be able to log a lot of minutes. He reminds me of a poor mans Marcus Camby. Now with the addition of that other pick I would have the Jazz take Luke Babbitt, Paul George, or Gordon Hayward.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...